Posts
(newest first)
Monday, April 11, 2005
What is a Martial Artist?
You see, I am basing it on the fact that many kids in Canton are taught some form of Kung Fu when they are young, and those who find they have a propensity for it continue to train in later life. As such, the *average* is still a minority, albeit larger than the minority of ppl who sustain training in the western world. However, I would bet that that average level of those ppl in the East does not compare with the average here in the west. I cite a more tangible example, for some reason table tennis in China is one of the predominant sports, most kids playing it into adulthood. Now, it is a well known fact that the Chinese table tennis players are the best in the world, yet they do not generally compete in the outside world, as they find there is little competition! A few years back, the world Champion table tennis player was a Chinese immigrant to France, who quite easily sauntered to the no 1 seed, yet, back home in China, he
was barely in the top 100 players!!! Because of the intense training and lifestyle which revolves around practicing, the Chinese players are superior to other nations in table tennis. This same committment and attitude is steeped in Chinese martial arts, and I would find, if
I had been raised in China, I might be a much more competent martial artist.
Anyway, forget that, refer to my question, What is a Martial Art? My short thesis follows in the next post.
Toodles
J
was barely in the top 100 players!!! Because of the intense training and lifestyle which revolves around practicing, the Chinese players are superior to other nations in table tennis. This same committment and attitude is steeped in Chinese martial arts, and I would find, if
I had been raised in China, I might be a much more competent martial artist.
Anyway, forget that, refer to my question, What is a Martial Art? My short thesis follows in the next post.
Toodles
J