Posts
(newest first)
Monday, April 11, 2005
More Philosophy of Martial Arts Training
I think there is such a thing as natural ability, but not in the way that Dan is proposing it. Natural ability, in my view, is the drive to do something, not your *quantifiable* ability to do it. An anthropologist book I read by Dr. Marvin King, proposed that the greatest tennis player in the world who ever, ever lived may be someone in an undiscovered Amazon tribe, who will never ever have the opportunity to tap this ability. But he goes on to say that this person will have a fundamental ability to use tools or instruments for hitting with great precision and accuracy, as well as a natural athleticism and the mental drive to wish to do these things - thus, nature and nurture, although he may have a natural drive for it, he is not nurtured in that area.
When I compare myself with Kieron, I find him an excellent fighter, with very natural understanding of fighting techniques, and his training is really pushing him. I know he would beat me hands down if we were to groundfight, but thus knowing that, I have to prevent the
fight being taken to the ground. I feel in my awareness of movement, I am able to compensate for my lesser knowledge in floor techniques. Whenever I spar, I always gauge the opponent first, and I make a comparison of his perceived speed, actual assumed speed, possible
power and awareness, and I fight accordingly. Rather like a sponge I change my level of ability with the opponent which in one way is a bad thing, because i never truly push myself, I require others to push me.
I find it difficult to imagine training without sparring. I must ask you a question, which I myself have formulated an answer to over the years, but took me some time and struggle:
What is a Martial Art?
My answer:
It is a means of battle, whether offence or defence, there is no distinction. To me, it is not a spiritual concept per se - that is a cultural phenomenon - but is only of spiritual value if you choose to let your martial art envelope you in such way, as to allow your life to be dictated by your martial art, and enhance your spiritual growth. Rather, I find that martial arts improve the confidence and character of a person, and indirectly enhances one's spiritual growth.
But back to the point, a martial art is a form of fighting, I cannot interpret a martial art as a pure religious/spiritual act, as I feel one must dissassociate the myth with reality. Shaolin Monks etc are first and foremost Bhuddist monks, not fighters. In fact most of the monks in the Shaolin monastery do not learn martial arts. Therefore, there is no indication that if you become a Shaolin monk you become a fighter, and thus, for me, no requirement that should you wish to become a good fighter, you should become entirely immersed in religion/spirituality.
I train because I feel good when I train, I feel alive when I spar, when I perform movement...yet, I feel this same rush when I dance in a club, what does this mean? Should I therefore make a lifestyle choice and either become a dancer or a fighter? No, I made the choice to spread my efforts and energy across all my devotions, and not to restrict myself to doing only one thing, in doing so, I am removing my limitations, by opening up more paths to follow. Who is to say that I cannot do many things exceptionally? I don't think it is a limitation to say I will only train once a week, because the other 6 days are for other purposes, because that once a week I will train hard and put my all into it. I don't think you'll find many ppl saying I do not have a passion for martial arts, and more likely someone will say I helped them along the path (I hope!)
J
When I compare myself with Kieron, I find him an excellent fighter, with very natural understanding of fighting techniques, and his training is really pushing him. I know he would beat me hands down if we were to groundfight, but thus knowing that, I have to prevent the
fight being taken to the ground. I feel in my awareness of movement, I am able to compensate for my lesser knowledge in floor techniques. Whenever I spar, I always gauge the opponent first, and I make a comparison of his perceived speed, actual assumed speed, possible
power and awareness, and I fight accordingly. Rather like a sponge I change my level of ability with the opponent which in one way is a bad thing, because i never truly push myself, I require others to push me.
I find it difficult to imagine training without sparring. I must ask you a question, which I myself have formulated an answer to over the years, but took me some time and struggle:
What is a Martial Art?
My answer:
It is a means of battle, whether offence or defence, there is no distinction. To me, it is not a spiritual concept per se - that is a cultural phenomenon - but is only of spiritual value if you choose to let your martial art envelope you in such way, as to allow your life to be dictated by your martial art, and enhance your spiritual growth. Rather, I find that martial arts improve the confidence and character of a person, and indirectly enhances one's spiritual growth.
But back to the point, a martial art is a form of fighting, I cannot interpret a martial art as a pure religious/spiritual act, as I feel one must dissassociate the myth with reality. Shaolin Monks etc are first and foremost Bhuddist monks, not fighters. In fact most of the monks in the Shaolin monastery do not learn martial arts. Therefore, there is no indication that if you become a Shaolin monk you become a fighter, and thus, for me, no requirement that should you wish to become a good fighter, you should become entirely immersed in religion/spirituality.
I train because I feel good when I train, I feel alive when I spar, when I perform movement...yet, I feel this same rush when I dance in a club, what does this mean? Should I therefore make a lifestyle choice and either become a dancer or a fighter? No, I made the choice to spread my efforts and energy across all my devotions, and not to restrict myself to doing only one thing, in doing so, I am removing my limitations, by opening up more paths to follow. Who is to say that I cannot do many things exceptionally? I don't think it is a limitation to say I will only train once a week, because the other 6 days are for other purposes, because that once a week I will train hard and put my all into it. I don't think you'll find many ppl saying I do not have a passion for martial arts, and more likely someone will say I helped them along the path (I hope!)
J